“Look! how hard managing your manager to meet high job expectations is now harder than ever…”
Let’s face it; Things in general are really hard for you at the moment. And if your boss thrives on being a perfectionist and fastidious then they are certainly going to have a whole lot of high expectations of their subordinates. If you work with such a boss then all that you need to do is get the right set of coping skills so that stress never gets to you. If you can learn to manage stress and turn it around to your advantage, then you will certainly become more effective, proactive and ultimately happier in your leadership role.
Management of high job expectations:
There are several tools and resources that you can use to manage high expectations at work; they are all over the place.
However the goal is to be able to manage them well, work effectively with your time and use your time well.
If your boss always expects the best then here are some of the things that you might resort to, to keep yourself sane:
· Be prepared for the stress that will come your way. When you know your boss, you know their expectations then you are prepared. This makes the equation set to equilibrium. If you are in a situation and can’t fathom out the answer then get the help you need; ask others. If you can’t foresee the answer then the next best thing is to accept it and fall back on plan B when all else in plan A does not work.
· Practice beforehand for stressful situations: If you know that you will need to make a convicting argument, a presentation or a speech then stand in front of a mirror or a trusted friend and practice it. This will give you the needed impetus to be able to perform with confidence on the actual day. That is the time you will be able to focus completely on the task on hand because you have already gone down that path in your mind beforehand and the situation will be more comfortable to you.
· Warning: Mind what you think: What you think can cloud your thoughts.
I have underlined it because it is so important. It can go on to decide whether you adopt a negative or positive thought process. The moment you adopt ‘I can do’ attitude you will be more able to march ahead. Instead self defeating talks which will only negate stuff (and makes you feel even more despondent) and means you are not up to taking up any challenges that come your way.
You can only excel at a task when you shift your focus away from the negative thoughts to what it is you want to achieve and why.
· Be organized: The moment you have chalked out what needs to be done, have a ‘ready to go’action plan in hand and you will know exactly what to do. This will enable you to be able to come up with doing the most important tasks first without the feeling, “I’m overwhelmed here!” This will ensure that you delegate and divide your energy accordingly and will go on to affect your performance levels.
These are some really easy to implement and effective ways of dealing with high expectations and coming out the better for it.
When you believe you are capable, you will be able to continue performing at your peak levels. By giving it you best shot you will be able to have a good work/life balance and keeping your sanity.
- How to Overcome High Job Expectations and Stress (balanceinme.com)
The other day myself and my husband where watching darts. I know that it’s not the most likely thing for a girl like me but I have always liked Darts. Put simply, I have always wondered how these unlikely athletes could drink pints, have stomach circumstances off the charts and be so precise with these mini’ javelins. You would probably still need to have some sort of schedule for training vs. drinking pints, right? And would you use the same arm for throwing as you would for supping? All these questions:)
I suppose that Life is such a contradiction on some many levels and you may find that your days have become a contradiction of chaos because you have misplaced something that is required in leadership- discipline. You know from your own experiences that applying disciple can free your mind to concentrate on the activities that really matter and will allow you the space and time to enjoy life rather than fighting against time, people, and more importantly how you feel.
Here is an audio to listen to when you can relax safely, free from any distractions or heavy machinery – in the knowledge that you can increase your discipline.
- Everybody Changes (livingauthentically.org)